Monday 27 April 2009

Day 9 water rescue and ICS (incident command system)

Today has been a easy day so far as all we did for the first half of the day we learnt about water rescue. So what is water rescue you may ask or not? well today we learnt about the tools that are on our appliances like life jackets, throw lines and that's about it unless you gonna on an additional course to be able to wade through the water.

So what can I do when I go to station? well if you unfortunate enough to fall into a river I'll be looking for you from the point of entry downstream and another crew going upstream wearing a life jacket and each F.F. carrying a throw line. A throw line is 25m long and floats on the water, it is housed in a bag and what we''l do if we see you is....

1) get your attention and hold the throw line above my head so you know what it is I'm about to throw at you.
2) throw the line in front of you so that as you travel down stream you should come to it and grab it.
3) from there I would hold the line tight and as you travel downstream and as I stay still and you continue moving I cuase a pendelum effect and bring you back to to shaw.

EASY!!!


The afternoon was all about ICS and I'll brief it very quickly. We learnt about who is in charge at incidents and how the OIC (officer in charge) plans what he does and how he delegates jobs and lots of other bits. If you really want to know more drop me a message and I'll tell you more.

No comments:

Post a Comment